IOGP welcomes the EU Biodiversity Strategy 2030
IOGP welcomes the EU Biodiversity Strategy 2030 and the EU’s intention to lead the World at the 2020 Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity in China.
IOGP and IPIECA have been working for twenty years to enhance biodiversity management in the oil and gas industry, recognising that some activities can take place in or near sensitive environments. In doing so, we support governments and civil society in achieving global and local conservation goals and contributing to enhanced scientific knowledge.
Integrating biodiversity considerations following an environmental risk-based approach, and implementing the mitigation hierarchy (avoid, minimise, restore, offset) into a project’s lifecycle constitute good biodiversity management practices.
To help the EU reach its biodiversity objectives, the IOGP together with IPIECA will continue to:
- Bring together experts from within and outside the industry to work collectively and progress environmental performance and science.
- Develop and promote the implementation of industry good practices for the conservation and mitigation of biodiversity impacts.
- Promote the importance of nature-based solutions.
- Support and promote the integration of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Work in partnership with the UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre for further integration of the long-term approach to mainstreaming biodiversity into the sector.